Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Irritating Phrases

Inspired by Tyler Cowen's post, here are a few phrases that never fail to irritate me.

1. A perfect storm. Hoo-boy, do I hate this phrase. Besides feeling like stale pop culture, it seems to have gone from meaning a an awesome event that arose from a confluence of several, highly unlikely factors to just about any event that has more than one cause.

2. No offense, but... Is this ever followed by anything but a patently offensive statement?

3. Outside the box. F%#k the box.

I've also gotten fed up with all of the "real America" imagery that gets tossed about, ranging from fairly innocuous seeming phrases like Main Street and Heartland, all the way to "Pro-America parts of the country." People in cities count, too.

(PS. As you might be able to tell from this post, I am a bit cranky; I've been sick for almost a week. My jovial self will be back soon.)

No comments: